Sunday, February 26, 2012

And I So love travelling..

"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." - St. Augustine.

Being a solo traveller from the past three years, I've gotten to meet some very interesting people on my trips. And while there are many beautiful people I've been fortunate to meet; one stands out very clearly in my mind as the best till date.

May-2011 - Vaishno Devi.

I started my trek at 8:00 in the morning, very sure I would make the climb all the way up the 14 kms; even though I did not have company. Afterall, it was my first visit to the shrine!

It's an upward climb & it can be a good long one if trekking solo.
Nevertheless, I started, hoping to be back down by evening. But not one hour into the trek and I had sprained my ankle!
Thanks to the  couple of medical stores along the way, I brought some painkillers and a pain reliever spray to carry on. But understandably, it was very difficult to walk without me taking long breaks at short distances! :(

People who know about VaishnoDevi know that there are semi-bred horses all along the way ferrying devotees up and down the hill. Disappointed with my state, I decided to take a horse for the shortest distance so I could cover up for some lost time and also give my foot some relief. It happened to be a 1.5 kms. ride ending nearby a checkpoint.

After dismounting the horse and applying a good dose of the pain reliever and a tablet down, I started walking again feeling slightly better but not as fine yet.
As I walked out of the security check I see this dude-guy alongside me who looked at me and rightaway asked, "Weren't you on a horse just now?" Now, its such a stupid feeling to be asked that question from a random stranger! Gives you a feeling of being so unfit... for the need to take a horse, especially if you're someone who prides in trekking the length & breadth of most travel destinations!
 
Nodding in the affirmative, I tried to be polite. When he noticed my careful walk.. rather my slow walk; he asked me if I was OK, so I stated the reason to him. Turned out he was a Doctor!
n turned out he was a solo pilgrim too!!

Maybe because he had an almost patient in his hand, he was kind enough to keep at my pace through out the climb; even after me suggesting him to carry on.
The walk obviously became slightly easier because of the company and also because I was mentally relieved to know I was in the company of a Doctor; incase I needed one. :P

We exchanges interesting anecdotes from each others lives.. and I also learnt a lot about VaishnoDevi, since he had been there quite a few number of times.

We reached VaishnoDevi shrine by noon and were fortunate enough to have superb Darshan pretty soon. Then after a slight meal, we started towards Bhairo Nath, which is a higher trek.. and a tasking one at that!
Again, thanks to the company, I managed to reach the top inspite of all the pain, fatigue and a scare from the ever-present wild monkeys there!!
By evening my sprain was intolerable and that's when he was such a help.. in the form of encouragement he kept giving me to walk down the hill, prodding me all along.

Finally when we did reach down at 8:15 PM,  he gave me a few medications, dropped me at my hotel and got going on his way to Delhi.....

I personally feel he really was a God sent for my trip there. Had I not taken that short ride on the horsey, I would have missed meeting him and immense help he provided. I would never have gotten back down on time too.

It's been 10 months now and not to say, we stay in touch - became good friends. [How cliched! .. but since this is not the movies - it's true! :P]

Sometimes, unexpectedly we bump into people, never knowing they'll become a cherished part of our lives...of our memories.
For these very experiences of life, with life... I So love travelling.

© All rights reserved with Biraj 3Vedi. To re-print, prior permission required from the author.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article.I agree sometimes we meet people who are there to help you and continue to be friends afterthat.I have been to vaishno devi and can understand the boredom a solo traveller might feel trekking..keep writing.

    ReplyDelete